Become an OTA member
The Ohio Township Association has more than 5,000 active members, made up of trustees and fiscal officers from Ohio’s 1,308 townships, and more than 4,000 associate members. The annual membership drive is conducted through the 87 County Township Associations (CTA).
Besides OTA dues, most County Township Associations require a supplemental fee for active and associate membership in their association. The fee is based on events offered to CTA members throughout the year. Some counties host events like ice cream socials or a fish fry, which are paid for through their annual dues.
Types of Memberships
There are two types of membership in the OTA:
- Active: Available only to elected township officials. Dues are $40 per year and members receive the OTA newsletter, magazine and discounts to conferences. Members also receive access to partner programs, such as those sponsored by the Ohio Township Association Risk Management Authority (OTARMA), the Public Employee Benefits Association (PEBA), and Bureau of Workers’ Compensation discounts through CareWorksComp and CareWorks.
- Associate: Available to any person or company interested in township government. Townships are encouraged to sign up all township employees, including zoning inspectors, administrators, cemetery superintendents and police and fire chiefs, as associate members. County officials, such as prosecutors and engineers, and vendors are also common associate members. OTA associate dues are $10 per year, and members receive the Ohio Township News magazine and are eligible to attend OTA conferences and seminars at a discounted rate.
If you would like to become a member, contact your county membership coordinator below.
Enter your county name to find your county membership coordinator.
Membership Drive Deadline
The OTA’s annual membership drive concludes June 30. Membership in the OTA is on an individual basis and dues are collected at the county level. If your township has not received a request for updated information from your county membership coordinator, contact Heather Whisman at firstname.lastname@example.org or 614-863-0045.
Three OTA membership awards are given each year, including Most Associate Members, Highest Percent Increase and Highest Raw Number Increase. The winning counties receive a plaque at the Annual Winter Conference and a free one-page advertisement in the Ohio Township News.
Congratulations to these 2016 membership award winners:
- Most Associates: Van Wert County with 323 associates
- Highest Percent Increase: Portage County with a 40 percent increase
- Highest Raw Number Increase: Monroe County with nine new associates