Plain Township Fire Chief
The Plain Township fire chief is retiring in July 2020 after 25 years of service that saw the Fire Department grow from mostly volunteers to 38 professional full-time firefighters. The Fire Department is funded with four permanent levies and enjoys the support of the community. A new Sutphen SPH-100 ladder was delivered in June of 2019 and a new Horton Medic is scheduled for delivery in May 2020.
The Fire Chief must be an effective communicator and active listener. This position provides leadership within the department, is a key member of the township’s executive team, and provides leadership throughout the community as a key collaborator for community safety. The ideal candidate will be engaging and personable and able to develop support within the community. Candidates must have command and/or operational experience in all aspects of EMS, fire suppression and prevention.
The successful candidate must be politically savvy, approachable, inclusive, and team-oriented while being committed to developing leadership within the Fire Department. The Fire Chief must be collaborative, results oriented, and data driven. The Fire Chief must possess personal integrity and honesty while holding others accountable for performance. The next Fire Chief is expected to develop command staff and to ensure best in class service delivery. The Fire Chief must possess a coaching and mentoring leadership style while building trust and respect within the department.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of experience in fire or emergency work with at least five (5) years of direct supervision experience
- Completion of Fire Officer I & II is required. Completion of Ohio Fire Executive Program or NFA Executive Fire Officer Program is desired. A bachelor’s degree in fire science, public administration or closely related field is desired
- State of Ohio Firefighter II and EMT-Basic certificates and NIMS ICS 100, 200, 300, 400, 700 and 800 are required.
- Ability to successfully pass a comprehensive background investigation as well as a pre-employment physical. See position description for full list of qualifications.
- Due to the need to respond to emergency situations, the successful candidate must establish residency within Franklin County or a contiguous county within six months of hire.
- Develop a comprehensive operating and capital budget for the fire department including an equipment replacement schedule and facility maintenance schedule.
- Enhance the department’s professional development program through coaching and mentoring officers, and identifying development opportunities and training that focus on succession planning to address future retirements. Identify opportunities to recruit and hire additional firefighters as needed.
- Develop community relationships with key stakeholders to strengthen community risk reduction and work to proactively and progressively improve community safety.
- Develop policies and programs to improve health and safety outcomes for department personnel while incorporating emerging science and technology.
- Develop a plan to maintain service levels in a growing community with road network and traffic challenges.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The salary range for this position is $100,000-$120,000 with full township benefits including Ohio Police & Fire pension pickup, both the 24% employer share and 12.25% employee share are paid by Plain Township.
Benefits include Medical, Vision, and Dental insurance available and $50,000 in life insurance provided, 10 paid holidays, and 130 hours of sick leave annually. Fire Chief command take-home vehicle provided.
APPLICATION AND PROCESS
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and credentials to Sharon DeLay by email to email@example.com by March 29. A copy of all credentials must be included. Initial review of applications will begin on April 1.